The world becomes a better place




It was a singular moment. One night I found myself riding in a 35 year-old US Army Jeep accompanied by several Russians, taking in the Vietnamese countryside. I thought about the soldiers who had ridden in this Jeep so many years ago and how they must have felt as they saw this same countryside. I thought about how this moment could not have been imagined 35 years ago. I felt a connection to history and was filled with the sense that the world indeed becomes a better place.

Then we went tooling around the beach under a full moon. Speeding across the sand. Swerving into the surf. Blasting the horn for sheer exuberance. Stopping occasionally to look at the stars and listen to the waves. The mountains in the moonlight and the ocean at our side. 

No comments: